Saturday, December 11, 2010

Time Traveling in My Room





When I lived in the orange building

I watched the sun rise over the mountains

the mist come up in the valley

like being in a sea of clouds


My little dog woke me each morning

tail wagging pioneer

I always followed exactly where she led


When I look across my room

at the painting of my home

I feel a peaceful comfort

and miss my dog


Once in Arabia I walked

two days without water

sometimes sliding down the sand dune

enveloped in my white cotton robes


A few people would wonder

about this maybe

but still to drink that fine

water from a pale hand

was paradise at the end


I don't have a painting of those two days

except in the cavern

of my mind

with its fat golden candles

2 comments:

Pep said...

Love the painting, and the poem! And wonder about your dog.

Stirling Davenport said...

Yes, I just wrote this as a surreal exercise. Glad you like the painting. I hope to do more in this style. If I ever had a dog, she would be a little fluffy white dog, I think.