Monday, December 3, 2012

A Feather to Dream On

Such an amazing dream, it is one of those magical ones to stay with me. I was with Dawn and we were binding our books. I was using two long black crow feathers in my binding. They were very slender and fitted into it longwise. I inadvertently left one of them up in the expensive tea room of a mall. The mall was all made of gold with gold-colored carpets on the stairs. There were no escalators. All the stairs were wide enough for twenty people and very high. I was walking up the stairs in my dancing shoes – heels – and a footman was watching me so I went very fast to impress him. When I got to the tearoom at last, the counter was closed and there were cases of pastries where my feather had been. So I went over to the stand across the way and asked the young man if they had any feathers. He didn’t ask me why I wanted a feather. He just said yes, what kind. And I told him a long black crow feather. So he said yes, they had a few – that the owner had taken them straight from the bird itself when he died – that he had been a beloved pet. And he said wait and went back to talk to the owner who was a very tall man with wavy salt and pepper hair and a long serious face. Finally, he came back with a small paper bag and when I peeped in there was an amazing feather – not as long as my other one – but beautiful – black and white – something rare. I thanked the young man and he asked me for forty dollars and my name. I told him. I gave him my credit card. He seemed awed by me for some reason.

There was something so strange and magical about the dream – the book binding, the feather, the boy asking my name. Can’t explain exactly. The feather mostly. It seemed like a gift from the Spirit World. And I didn’t want to use it in the book binding because the book would have to be perfect. Absolutely perfect.



2 comments:

Becca@Removalists Melbourne said...

Symbols are the language of dreams. A symbol can invoke a feeling or an idea and often has a much more profound and deeper meaning that any one word can convey. At the same time, these symbols can leave you confused and wondering what that dream was all about. For me, just wait and see when and how it would come.

Stirling Davenport said...

Thanks, Becca. I know what you mean. I sometimes see reflections of the past in my dreams. This one felt very anticipatory.